London’s local food growers, producers and businesses are gearing up for the annual celebration of the fantastic food being grown, made, cooked and preserved right on our doorstep.
Urban Food Fortnight (9-25 September 2016) connects restaurants and retailers with London’s edible gardens and small producers to showcase the best food and drink on offer in the city with special menus, one-off events, workshops and supper clubs.
Run by London Food Link, the fortnight throws the spotlight on the hidden delights of the capital’s good food scene, giving Londoners the chance to enjoy ultra-local food. It also highlights the importance of small enterprises and initiatives that grow and make food, as well as saving surplus from going to waste.
Eateries across the capital are busy creating dishes, cocktails, and even entire menus for garden dinners and polytunnel parties to showcase the best of London’s local larder. Whether it’s herbs and salads from urban farms, honey harvested from community beehives, small batch beers, artisan cheeses, Real Bread made by social enterprises or saved surplus food that would otherwise have gone to waste, every bite has a London story behind it.
- The London Grows moveable feast at Global Generation’s Skip Garden in King’s Cross.
- Intimate dinners with chefs and producers around the city. A chance to Meet The Producers, Sole Share, with Tom Hunt in his East London restaurant Poco, and to dine Local To London with Oliver Rowe at the London Cooking Project in Battersea.
- Community Beer Brewing Sessions with surplus food pioneers Toast Ale, and Urban Food Award winners, Clarkshaws Brewery.
- Harvest Stomp, a free community festival taking place in the Olympic Park.
- Dinner with a difference as Foodisms bring their Barcelona event, the Urban Food Challenge, to East London.
- A chance to get a taste of London’s edible gardens at Capital Growth’s Urban Harvest Feast.
- Learn how to make you own Korean-style pickles and enjoy the signature kimchi burger at the Table Café’s Pop Up Kimchi evening.
The winners of the third Urban Food Awards will also be announced during the fortnight at Borough Market, with categories ranging from London Leaves to Sustainable Street Food.
Events are still being added every day with everyone invited to throw open their doors to feed Londoners with ultra-local food and drink.
Find details of these and more events, plus how to register your own event, at www.urbanfoodfortnight.org
Permaculture's Special Offer
To celebrate this awesome two week event, we're giving you disounts on two of our classic permaculture and food books:
The Permaculture Kitchen for just £5 (available until Sept 25th)
Meat for just £5 (available until Sept 25th)
Our print & digital magazine is packed full of recipes and top tips for growing, harvesting and preserving in urban areas. For more info click HERE
The Vegan Book of Permaculture is a great guide to growing fruit and veg in a small garden - perfect for urban spaces