Through training workshops, A Rocha Brazil is mobilizing communities and churches to respond to the environmental challenges in their neighbourhoods. Here's the story of how one innovative little church is turning an environmental problem into a solution - discarded plastic bottles into brooms!
What you need:
20 plastic soft drink bottles 2 liter PET
1. Remove the label on the bottle
2. Remove the bottom of the bottle, with the cutting stylus. The bottle will keep strips approximately 0.5 cm
3. Make cuts in the bottle up to the more rounded
4. Remove the neck with scissors
5. Make 18 pieces without neck and leave with a bottleneck
6. Fitting parts with no neck, one by one over the part with neck. Are you ready base of the broom
7. Cut the top of another bottle and fit over the base of the broom you just prepared
8. Drill two holes and insert the wire through all layers of bottles
9. Pull the wire to the other side and twist the ends to fasten
10. Secure parts with the aid of two nails
11. Your broom is ready!
For more information about A Rocha Brazil and how they created a social enterprise from this project see: